Angela Roberts’ Southern Bisquits Recipe
- 2 cups White Lily flour all purpose (softened wheat flour) NOT self-rising
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted cold butter
- ¾ cup buttermilk (I like full fat buttermilk, but see note under instructions on how to make your own)
- pinch baking soda for buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons milk (for brushing on biscuits)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar.
- Cut butter into flour with pastry cutter or simple use hands to mix in, but not smear.
- At this point put the flour and butter mixture into freezer for 15 minutes.
- This is a good time to make your own buttermilk if you don’t have buttermilk. I prefer the store bought, but if you don’t have it on hand, see below.
- Take flour mixture out of freezer.
- Add in buttermilk, Stir with a spoon. Mixture will be wet.
- Flour the counter or mat. You can at this point continue to make the biscuits in the bowl you’ve mixed it in, if there is room and the bowl has a flat bottom.