Hmong Spong Cake Recipe
You will need an electric hand mixer, makes it easier and faster, but a wire wisk works just the same.
- 1 1/4 cup cake flour (like softasilk or swans down)
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 c egg whites (about 10 eggs separate the yolk)
- 1 tsp cream of tarter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- STEP 1: beat egg whites till stiff peaks form, add cream of tarter midway thru, add vanilla ext. And almond ext.
- STEP 2: sift together flour, sugar, and salt 5 times (sift as in sift thru a weave like colander)
- STEP 3: gently combine egg whites with dry ingredients and pour in ungreased aluminum cake pan
- STEP 4: place cake in cold oven, bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 60 min