Hmong Sweet Red Pork Recipe (nqaij qab zib)
Makes 6-8 servings
- 2 tb oil
- 3 lb pork belly
- 1/8 cup mushroom soy sauce and also 2 tb for meat and 2 tb for eggs (marinate)
- 2 cups water
- 1 & ¾ slabs of rock candy (or regular sugar)
- A 4 inch long chunk of ginger, cut in half, pound a couple times with pestle/stick.
- Two lemongrass stalk, cut into 5-6 inches, pound a couple times with pestle/stick.
- 3 good size pieces of dried Galangal
- 1 tb salt or more for taste
- ¾ tsp cinnamon powder or more if desire
- 1 tb onion powder or more for taste
- 1/2 tb garlic powder
- 1/2 tb of msg
- 8 eggs
- baby Bamboo shoots, shredded (optional)
Utensils: a medium size sauce pot
1. Cut pork belly into thin finger length slithers.
2. Marinate meat in 2 tbsp of mushroom soy sauce and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
3. Boil eggs on high heat until cook.
4. remove eggs and let it sit in cold water for a few minutes before peeling.
5. In a separate bowl, marinate the eggs with 2 tbsp of mushroom soy sauce and set it aside.
6. Now take the meat back out. Prepare your sauce pot by adding 3 tbsp of oil.
7. Cook the garlic cloves first until golden brown (a few minutes) then add meat and cook for 10 minutes.
8. Add the 2 cups of water, 1/8 cup of mushroom soy sauce, the rock candy (sugar), galangal, ginger, cinnamon, onion, garlic and msg. cover with lid and slow cook medium heat for 2 hours. Stir the meat every 15 minutes to avoid meat burning at the bottom of pot.
9. After the 2 hours is completed, add the eggs and mix as gently so it doesn’t break.
10. Cook for another hour or until the fatty part of the meat is soft and jelly like. In this last hour, it’s important to taste and add in additional ingredients if necessary (salt, garlic powder, etc). Cinnamon is a crucial ingredient.
Suggestions: Taste even better the following next day after the meat and eggs absorb more of the flavor. On the next day, you can also see the fat solidify (white) and you can scrape the additional fat out.