Nam Khao Recipe – Laotian Crispy Rice salad Recipe
- 5 cups of cold rice
- 1 pack of grated coconut meat
- 2 large Nam sausages
- 1 1/2 can of red curry (more if you want spicy)
- 1 bundle of cilantros
- 1-2Lime/ 2 tsp lime juice
- Crushed peanuts
- Green romaine lettuce
- 1 egg
**Heat oil in a medium size pot over medium heat (can you this when you’re ready to fry or while prepping rice balls).
1) Cut cilantro into your desire size
2) Cut Nam sausages diagonally (easy to slip off and grab/open) and place in a bowl.
3) Shred and take apart every piece of the nam sausage and place aside.
4) in a large bowl, mix curry, coconut meat and rice together well.
5) crack and scramble the egg into a small bowl
6) with 2 hands, grab the rice mixture and form a small/med size ball; dip a little into the egg and continue to form the ball until firm. Place the balls on a platter/plate; big enough to hold 15-20 balls.
7) when oil is ready, use a spoon/ladle to drop the balls in the oil carefully. If not careful, the ball will crack. Fry 6-8 balls at a time only. **DO NOT stir often or the balls will fall apart**
8)fry until golden brown or preferred crispness. Let it drain and cool down.
9) in a large bowl, with your hands, smash and take apart each ball until the rice is crumbled. Add Nam sausages, cilantro and crushed peanuts.
10) squeeze 1 whole lime/ 2 tsp of lime juice. (add more depending on preference). Mix well and taste it.
11) serve with romaine lettuce; eat like a wrap or alone.
Note: Store leftovers in fridge: reheat 1-2 min in microwave (may add white sugar and fish sauce).