Steam Tapioca Layer Cake ingredients:
- 2 cups tapioca starch (use the blue bag)
- 1/2 cup rice flour (use red bag)
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can coconut milk (13 oz) + 1/2 cup water
1. Boil the 1/2 cup water and add the sugar until disolved. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, combine the rice flour and tapioca starch.
3. Add the coconut + water mixture to step 2 & stir to mix.
4. Add the water/sugar syrup from step 1 to the mixture.
Divide the mixture into how many colors you want. Add food color of choice. Place a metal container in a steam pot. Add one layer of the color, thin layer or more for a thicker layer. Steam until solid, add another layer of color. Continue until all layers are finished. Take out to cool, put in fridge to cool faster. When ready cut and eat! When it’s warm, it is really sticky. It will get more firm once cooled.
***Tip don’t cut until cake has cool completely & use a plastic knife to cut. I use a plastic spatula so it cuts smoothly & doesn’t stick