Vietnamese Beef Stew Recipe (Bo Kho)
This recipe can be served in bread bowl, rice or pho noodles.
- 2 lbs boneless beef chuck, cut into 1.5 inch cube
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 2 inch pieces and bruised
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Bo Kho spice powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes or 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb carrot, peeled,cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 star anise
- 3 cups water
- Mix lemongrass, fish sauce, Bo Kho spice powder, ginger, brown sugar and bay leaf, marinate the beef for 30 minutes.
- Over high heat, heat oil in a heavy-bottemed 5-quart pot, sear the beef quickly then remove, reserve lemongrass and bay leaf for later use.
- Reduce heat to medium, cook onions till translucent (5 minutes), then add tomato and cook with lid on for another 12-15 minutes.
- If sauce is too thick, add a bit of water.
- Add back the beef, lemongrass, bay leaf and star anise, cook uncovered for 5 minutes then add water.
- Bring pot to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Add carrots and simmer for another 45 minutes until beef and carrots are tender.
- Remove bay leaf, lemongrass and star anise before serving.